Friday, February 22, 2008

Miss Met vs. Devo from the red carpet. Who ya got?

VS

It was an adequate year for movies at best, but regardless, let’s get into it:

Best Movie

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Devo: If these are the best movies of the year, then this year was no better than a 6.5 out of 10. None of these movies were great, especially Atonement, which sucked. Country and Blood both had fairly significant flaws that I discussed previously. Country will win, but Blood was better. But more about what should have won below.

MissMet: It would be amazing if Juno pulled an upset and won. I don’t really see that happening- No Country for Old Men.

Best Actor

George Clooney in “Michael Clayton”
Daniel Day-Lewis in “There Will Be Blood”
Johnny Depp in “Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”
Tommy Lee Jones in “In the Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortensen in “Eastern Promises”

Devo: Daniel Day-Lewis should win it, and I think he will. Part of me wants to see Tommy Lee Jones win, if only to see my Dad continue his bitching and moaning about how TLJ’s character in No Country For Old Men, was the most depressing character of all time.

MissMet: I’m going with the safe bet of Daniel Day-Lewis, because everyone and their mother says he’s going to win. Did anyone see Eastern Promises? I heard there was a naked fight in it, including Viggo. If this is Viggo circa Lord of the Rings, I’m in. I still pick Daniel though.

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett in “Elizabeth: The Golden Age”
Julie Christie in “Away from Her”
Marion Cotillard in “La Vie en Rose”
Laura Linney in “The Savages”
Ellen Page in “Juno”

Devo: Don’t care unless Ellen Page wins. And even then, not really. I guess I’ll say Julie Christie, just because.

MissMet: My aunt and uncle saw Away from Her and said it was pretty much the most devastating thing they’ve seen in awhile. When I asked how Julie Christie was, my aunt replied, “Oh, she was good.” The bold and italics represent the infection which she said the word good, because I cannot recreate it for you over the interweb. I can’t argue with that- Julie Christie.

Best Supporting Actor

Casey Affleck in “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”
Javier Bardem in “No Country for Old Men”
Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Charlie Wilson’s War”
Hal Holbrook in “Into the Wild”
Tom Wilkinson in “Michael Clayton”

Devo: With all apologies to Philip Seymour Hoffman, this award has to go to Bardem, friendo.

MissMet: Javier Bardem just because of his haircut. Oh and he was supposedly amazing in this role.

Best Supporting Actress

Cate Blanchett in “I’m Not There”
Ruby Dee in “American Gangster”
Saoirse Ronan in “Atonement”
Amy Ryan in “Gone Baby Gone”
Tilda Swinton in “Michael Clayton”

Devo: Boo to Amy Ryan for giving McNulty the shaft in The Wire. This’ll probably go to Cate Blanchett for playing a female, Victorian-Age Bob Dylan.

MissMet: Apparently, Ruby Dee is the sentimental favorite because she’s so old. Saoirse Ronan is a prodigy because she’s so young. Let’s say Amy Ryan, just so we have one different pick. Plus, she’s a New Yorker acting with a thick Boston accent. If that’s not an acting stretch then I dunno what is....

Final Thoughts:

Devo: As long as Atonement didn’t win anything important, it’s been a good Oscar Year. But three dramas were all better than the nominees: American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone, and Kite Runner. And also, the Eddie Vedder Into the Wild song got screwed.

MissMet: I really hope the song “Falling Slowly” from Once wins Best Original Song. I hope that Jon Stewart is damn funny and I hope that there aren’t any wardrobe malfunctions.

No comments: