Thursday, March 20, 2008

Some NCAA thoughts:




Having watched absolutely no college basketball this year, I figured that today was a good day to start. Some thoughts from the 7pm games:

-So I find my assgroove on the couch, turn on CBS, hoping to get a glimpse of the super freshmen, O.J. Mayo (Praise Allah that Chris Berman doesn’t cover basketball) and Michael Beasley. What do I get? Duke vs. Belmont (who I referred to as “Winthrop probably 14 times throughout the game. Straight Up Sports, your home for the NCAA tournament!) Some more thoughts on this Duke game while rooting for Greg Paulus to suffer an injury of Theisman proportions:

-6 minutes in, it hit me: So this is what it’s like to root against the Yankees. Fascinating.

-I’m not a huge Duke hater. Some of their teams have been awe-inspiring, such that I couldn't help but cheer on their greatness. The Shane Battier/Jason Williams teams come to mind. But I really hated Reddick and I really hate Greg “Stomp the floor” Paulus. Actually, I think I just hate any Duke team that’s led by white guys. (That extends to you too, Duke Lacrosse. Sure, you’re not guilty of rape, but you’re still guilty of being assholes.) But Jersey City’s own Bobby Hurley? You cool.

-Watching the Duke game and rooting for Greg Paulus to suffer an injury of Theismann proportions, it hit me: So this is what it’s like to root against the Yankees. Interesting.

-Apparently Belmont sucks at layups. Or maybe they’re very good at knocking down 3’s. Either way, they took an awful lot of fast break 3 pointers.

-And that’s some fantastic defense by Belmont on that end to end drive to end the game. I know you don’t want to foul in that situation, but come on, play some D.

-Belmont had 3 chances to win the game and failed. Damn.

-I’m not saying Coach K is evil, but when he met Belmont’s coach after the game, I expected Coach K to bite his neck and start sucking his blood. But hey, I’m not bitter.

-A fun game to play while watching BYU: “Find the Black Guy!”

-One thing about George Mason. The stupidest question that was asked last year and will continue to be asked for the next 8-10 years is “Who will be this year’s George Mason?” The answer: no one. What Mason did two years ago truly was a once-in-a-lifetime run. It’s not going to happen every year. If we’re lucky, it happens once every ten years.

-Mason down 14 near the end of the first half. Looks like George Mason ain’t this year’s George Mason either.

-SUS NCAA Pool update that no one cares about: In the SUS pool, Marc M is winning, going 12 for 12, and MissMet is the highest SUS writer, with 10 of 12, tied with 12 others for 8th place. Me? I’m tied with 5 others, including Mahatma for 37th place out of 43. Oh, and coming in 43rd is SHMUCK, who was so busy writing articles that he forgot to fill out his bracket. Let’s just say that so far my “take no advice and go with my gut” strategy isn’t working.

1 comment:

The Brooklyn Hillbilly said...

Joe Alexander's gonna conquer Duke like it was Persia.