Sunday, February 3, 2008

Happy SuperBowl Sunday!


I should be ecstatic. My beloved baseball team has just made a trade worthy of, well, the Yankees. I mean its the kind of trade the Yankees would make without blinking an eye. For the Mets and for us Mets fans, this is huge. Santana is a two time Cy Young winner, 93-44 with a 3.22 ERA in eight seasons. All of this should make me freaking out with excitement.

Right now, I'm just apprehensive. Call me pessimistic, but throughout my Metsfan life, I've been living with a whole lot of disappointment. Last year's collapse is just the latest in a long string of unrealized potential or 'blockbuster' moves gone awry. As soon as Santana's deal was announced, $137.5 million until 2013 with an option for 2014, I thought about pitchers and how they hardly get deals like this (well, until Barry Zito last year and now). Why is it that? They are so much less consistent than a regular player. What happens if the arm that controls the pace and make-up of the game gets overworked? Overthrown? Injured? There's also the aspect that everyone speaks of when a player comes from a teeny tiny market into the media firestorm that is New York. Will he crumble in this setting like Kenny Rogers or will he thrive like Mike Hampton (but hopefully for more than a year)? My other point is that I have spent years watching my team either completely fail or come excruciatingly close to glory.

My good friend from Boston likes to rub it my face that he's from Boston and his teams are dominating. He made a comment to me the other day, "You love to root for terribly unclutch sports teams..." For Santana to come here and fail or disappoint would be just another example of why the Mets have played second fiddle in New York and have been considered 'unclutch' for all these years. I'm not saying that I want or even believe that Santana is going to fail. I'm just saying that I can't let myself get too excited about it, because if I do, I know there's a good chance that I'll be crushed yet again. I need to see him pitch with the Mets for a game or two before I can get myself really really excited about him, but can you blame me?

Enjoy the SuperBowl tonight everyone! Eat and drink up. My two boxes are: Giants- 8, Pats- 7 and Giants- 9, Pats- 5. Let's make it happen so I make some $ boys!

Btw, if you like foreign films, check out The Diving Bell and the Butterfly about a man with locked-in syndrome who writes a book using his left eye to blink out the words- its a true story!

11 DAYS TILL SPRING TRAINING!

MissMet

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the phils are gonna win the world series in 08