Friday, March 28, 2008

A Night with BH and his 'eers

Right before I get off the train in Rockville last night, I get a call from BH-I'm in town, come to Dupont Circle to watch the WVU game, see ya there in 20. So I get off the Metro at Grosvenor, cross the track and get on the train heading into town.

Some highlights:

-Joe Alexander. You know how to tell that he's not from WV? (or at least Texas) His first name is simply Joe. Shouldn't it be Joe John or Joe Jack? Naturally, I called him Joe Jack or Joe John all game. The WV faithful looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, or asked them to add 2+3.

-Wellington Smith, black dude, WVU. Led to this exchange:
BH: Yeah, I heard he's named after his estranged father.
Devo: Wow, so he and Kate Mara are stepsiblings.
Devo: That would be why Smith's grandmother was always nicknamed Sally Hemmings.

-Is it just me, or is Bob Huggins the type of coach that you would expect to go to a post game frat party and bang some co-eds?

-Not a Xavier score went by without BH wanting a charge. And not a WV offensive possession went by without BH wanting a blocking foul. Kinda like how the Packers', Cowboys', and Patriots' O-lines held on every offensive possession and committed pass interference on every Eli throw.

-Would it kill WV to make a shot in the final 4 minutes of OT?

-Watching the UCLA game from the Ugly Pug by Capitol Hill, I was the asshole who responded to the UCLA chants with "U-S-C." Yeah, I'm that guy. BH and I tried a W-K-U chant, and then we looked at each other quizzically as we tried to say their mascot. We should've just assumed it was a wildcat.

-To bring this back to the Superbowl XLII Giants, I wore a Yankee hat to the bar last night and got a surprising amount of Yankees Suck chants. Yada yada yada, I'm going to miss being able say 18-1 if the Pats ever win a Super Bowl again.

No comments: