Wednesday, March 12, 2008

SUPERAGENT SWEEPS




To the average NFL fan (excluding all Jet fans) it would seem that the Jets are throwing away a lot of money this offseason. What’s strange is that this is the same team and front office (I mean you Tannenbaum) who wouldn’t give Pete Kendall a $1 million raise so they opted to trade him instead (and look what developed, no run game). Ok, so maybe they’re trying to make up for their mistakes. Now as a loyal Jet fan I can’t lie and say I’m not excited by the talent that’s been brought in. But I wouldn’t disagree with most saying that the Jets are wasting money. Here’s my analysis/grading scale of the offseason transactions so far (Scale - GIGGIDY, OK, EH, WTF!):

KRIS JENKINS - $30 million/5yr with $11 million guaranteed

Shmuck – Once was considered the top DT in all of football but now he’s 29 years old and could be at the end of his prime. I just can’t believe a man is getting paid to make weight ($25,000/10 times during the season)! He’s definitely an upgrade over Dewayne Robertson but has injury and character issues. If he can start rocking the subway diet and get back down from 400 to a respectable 330-340lbs then I think he’ll do just fine
Grade - OK

ALAN FANECA - $40 million/5yr with $21 million guaranteed

Shmuck – Ok, so he’s no Steve Hutchinson but seriously, come on, Adrian Clarke? I’ll take anyone over that guumba, so why not the best LG in free agency? DaBrick and Mangold need veteran experience around them. It’d be stupid if Tangina decided to draft one and just place him in between the 2.
Grade - GIGGIDY

CALVIN PACE - $42 million /6yr with $22 million guaranteed

Shmuck – Who the hell is Calvin Pace? Honestly I didn’t know who he was until I googled him (and I think so did some of the Jet players). He’s had one good year playing in the 3-4 defense and the Jets paid him like a 7 time pro-bowler. The upside is he’s young and doesn’t have a track record of injuries.
Grade - WTF!

DAMIEN WOODY - $25.5 million /5yr with $11 million guaranteed

Shmuck – I imagine it’s not an easy transition to move from guard to tackle. Jets paid Woody like he’s played right tackle all his life but in reality it was only for 5 games last season for the Lions. He provides a lot of experience but he too is overweight. I wonder if he gets the same weight plan deal as does Jenkins. But he’s another upgrade over Anthony Clement. Personally, I’d rather have them draft Jake Long if he is available but its obvious Tangina aren’t taking any chances.
Grade – Eh?

ANDRE WOOLFOLK – ???

Shmuck – The Jets seem to like ex-Titan cornerbacks (A.Dyson endorses Plaxico for President). A former 1st round pick, Woolfolk could be the #2 behind Darrelle Revis. I think Asante Samuel is flat out overrated and I’m glad the Jets didn’t sign him. Hopefully Woolfolk will pan out better than his ex recent departed teammate Andre “I can’t tackle dick” Dyson.
Grade: OK

TONY RICHARDSON – 1 yr deal, money not disclosed

Shmuck – I actually like this signing. He’s led the way for Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson. All these guys have rushed for more than 1,000 yds in a season during that tenure. But I will say that where ever Tony was, there was also an outstanding offensive line (Roaf, Shields-KC/ McKinnie, Hutchinson, Birk-MINN). So hopefully the Jets can add DaBrick, Faneca and Mangold to his list.
Grade: GIGGIDY

– Traded to New Orleans Saints for a 2009 conditional pick

Shmuck – I’ll be honest, I actually hated this move. I understand Vilma wasn’t thriving in the 3-4 but he only played 1.5 years in the system. His leadership and playmaking abilities were a need on defense and they just traded it away. I don’t think Vilma could be an OLB in the 3-4 and rush the passer, he’s too undersized. But maybe playing along David Harris in the middle he could have performed better? But the Jets have a track record of letting former 1st rounders go and eventually we all saw this coming. All I know is these transactions better work or Tangina will have hell to pay
Grade: WTF!

– Possible Trade to Cincinnati Bengals for 4th and 5th picks

Shmuck – It’s a shame that a former top 5 pick that missed a couple games in his 4 year career and has a great motor and work ethic gets the Jets 2 second day picks. Its mind boggling to me and apparently that was the best deal out there. If they can restructure his contract then I say hold on to him and move him to RE. Who knows, he might flourish.
Grade: Eh?

Now that the Jets have gone all Redskin-like in the free agent pool here’s a list of shit they didn’t fix from their tumultuous spending:

1. Securing Kerry Rhodes to a long term deal should of have been their first priority. He’s a restricted free agent next year and I’d hate to see a team offer him an outrageous offer like that of Steve Hutchinson’s.
2. Although Laverneus Coles is not considered a #1 WR to some, he still is a factor when healthy on the field and he plays hard and hurt a lot. He’s a good mentor to Jericho Cotchery. With a high 2nd round draft pick they can look to select one of the speedy big-target WR’s (preferably James Hardy) to complement Coles. Give him the money Tangina!
3. I love Leon Washington. He’s a playmaker with game-changing ability and deserves to be on this team. Jets would have a dangerous duo on kickoffs once Justin Miller returns. But like Rhodes, he’ll be in a contract situation after this season and his talents would be highly coveted by other teams in the league, not just on special teams.
4. Quarterback controversy! Of the free agent quarterbacks none of them really was worth acquiring. So I don’t really blame them for not going out and signing someone to compete for the job. I’d like to see what Pennington & Clemens can do with a better offensive line and another good receiving target. But they’ll look real stupid after another losing season and lack of performance from the most important position in the game.
5. Special Teams coach Westhoff is out for the year battling cancer in his leg. He’s certainly one of the best as for years the Jets have had a real good special teams unit. They need to find someone suitable to fill his spot
6. Defensive Coordinator Sutton still has a job miraculously. Apparently the reason for the improved defensive play towards the last 6 games of the season was in result of Mangenius making the play calls. It’s not good if you and your coordinators are not on the right page.

Overall, these transactions have gotten me very excited for the upcoming season. I couldn’t even give a shit about baseball right now. Other than the Devils I can’t think of another sports franchise that I’ve rooted for as long as the Jets. But I’m not a hypocrite. I’ve proudly stated that I dislike teams who spend money and buy championships (Yankees, Red Sox, Redskins (no championships) etc.). I just hope the Jets aren’t falling into this category because it sure as hell looks like it. Because I want my money back for being on the season ticket waiting list!

1 comment:

devo said...

The Jets have bought many things this offseason, but I don't think a championship is one of them.