Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Celtics Pistons Preview



For probably the third consecutive playoff preview, I'm going to say this about the Celtics: I really want to like this team. It's a shame that they play in Boston, because otherwise I'd be nearly diehard. But they play in Boston, so time for them to die.

But as someone who's almost a fan of the NBA, the NBA would be much better off with the Celtics in the finals. Not simply because it's so easy to root against Sully and Murph, but because the matchups are much sexier. Whether it's Boston/LA, bringing back shades of Magic/Bird, or Spurs/Celtics which pairs the current NBA dynasty with the most successful franchise in the history of the NBA, it'll be something worth watching; at least for the last 5 minutes of the game.

And if Detroit makes it? Well LA beats them handily, no more than 5 or 6 games. If it's the Spurs, we have a return of the 2005 NBA Finals, one of the more boring in recent memory, only both teams are 3 years closer to being past their primes. (Note: I watched every minute of that series because I was kept away from society for most of the '04-05 school year until then and was simply grateful for competitive sport. I'm also the only person I know who watched more than two minutes of that series)

But let's get to who will win, shall we? I know this post is a few days late, but Game 1 was irrelevant. Boston was going to win game 1 for 2 reasons:

1. The home team generally wins game 1, if only because the raucous crowd is able to carry them to victory.

2. In the battle of a rusty team vs a tired team, the tired team is always going to win game 1. The tired team is in better game shape and won't show their fatigue until game 2. I don't know why it's true, and I have no reason or proof to show that it's true but trust me, it is.

If the Pistons get their legs back, they should be able to at least be competitive in game 2 if not actually win it. But more importantly, I've been 0-for-the playoffs so far in picking series seemingly. So let's try to jinx the Celtics and say Celtics in 7.

No comments: