Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Lowe-down Dirty Shame...Braves get Derek


After a ton of speculating and negotiating, the Braves got Derek Lowe. What a letdown. I was really enjoying hating the Phillies a ton and now I'm going to have to expand the hatred-capacity in my brain. Don't get me wrong, I have always hated the Braves (always will), but they've become so...insignificant lately that I saved my hatred for them only when they played the Mets. I guess I can actually hate Lowe too, for teasing us fans for a few weeks. I would add Scott Boras to the mix, but we still need him to help us get Ollie Perez back in order to salvage this off-season when it comes to starting pitching (I'm not counting the signing of Tim Redding yet. I'm just not sure what he can bring).

To me, Lowe always seemed like a better idea than Ollie, just because of the consistency factor. Derek has it, Perez doesn't. Still, I'd rather them sign him than no one at all. According to Metsblog.com, Omar Minaya was always more interested in Perez than Lowe, but the front office disagreed. Apparently, the Mets are also looking into Randy Wolf (I'm all about bringing the Wolf Pack to CitiField...oops I almost wrote Shea) and Ben Sheets. Only time will tell my friends, but I really wouldn't have minded seeing Derek Lowe in Queens.

BTW

My movie Golden Globe picks were not stellar as I suspected, but I did do better on the TV ones. I loved Steve Carell's beard. I loved Eva(n) Longoria's dress. I love Tina Fey, but I hated her dress.

~MissMet

4 comments:

devo said...

Two things:
1. Something about Tina Fey didn't look right at the Globes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way.

2. From everything I've heard about Lowe, it's probably a positive that you wouldn't find him in Queens. If you did, there's a pretty good chance he would try and impregnate you if Mrs. Lowe aint around.

Unknown said...

I didn't watch the gg, but hated the dress too. that's it. nothing baseball related to say :)

lumpishere said...

Oh, I know all too well what you mean. Over a decade of Atlanta hatred doesn't die easy, and now that they snatched up Derek Lowe (really, do they think they're actually contending for something??), it just prolongs the anger.

Final thought? I've now lived through the pain of two mets collapses, one phillies world series win, and last weeks' disgraceful loss to the eagles, ALL in kill-a-delphia. Get me out of here.

Anonymous said...

Lowe was the best fit for the Mets of the available starting pitchers this year. He's durable and consistently good, and his price tag was well below CC's. He was probably worth the 15 million a year he got from the Braves, but the Mets were probably smart to balk at 4 guaranteed years. He'll be 39 in the last year of the deal, and pitchers in their late 30s tend to lose their stuff w/o warning. He would have helped in 2009, but there's a good chance that he won't earn his contract that final year or two.

I like Perez, but I think the Mets should go after Sheets. He's more injury prone but also more talented, and can probably be had for a 1-2 year deal, plus a vesting/team option.