Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sure there's football this weekend, but...


it's January, and that means only one non-football thing...The 48th Annual Straight Up Sports Golden Globes Preview! For those of you who are testosterone-challenged and are sick of football overload, here’s your trusty alternative. As always, it’s being brought to you by self appointed Straight Up Sports Movie Experts, Devo and MissMet, as they give their two cents on this year’s finest films.

Best Actor Drama:

Nominees: Leo DiCaprio, Revolutionary Road, Frank Langella Frost/Nixon, Sean Penn Milk, Brad Pitt, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Devo: A solid field to work with in this category. I’ve only seen Frost/Nixon, and as good as Langella was, Michael Sheen was better. But apparently Rourke was mesmerizing playing a washed up wrestler. Everything I’ve read about Rourke, he seems like a scary guy, and if it’s a Golden Globe he wants, then a Golden Globe he gets.

MissMet: It has been a slow movie year for me, but I still have heard and read about all of these. I’m going with Brad Pitt.

Best Actress Drama:

Nominees:

Anne Hathaway Rachel Getting Married, Angelina Jolie Changeling, Meryl Streep Doubt, Kristin Scott Thomas I’ve Loved You So Long, Kate Winslet Revolutionary Road

Devo: This is my weak category. 5 movies, I’ve heard of 4, I plan on seeing 3, and I’ve actually seen one. As someone who is unhappily living in Suburbia, I’m rooting for Winslet, whose character apparently shares my pain.

MissMet: As much as voters love them some Meryl, I think this is finally Kate’s year to win. She might even get an Osc…oh, wait, we’re not talking about them yet.

Best Actor Comedy:

Nominees: Javier Bardem Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Colin Farrell In Bruges, James Franco Pineapple Express, Brendan Gleeson In Bruges, Dustin Hoffman Last Chance Harvey

Devo: Bardem gets thrown out because he’s only so great without his No Country weapon. Farrell gets thrown out because he’s Colin Farrell and Gleeson gets thrown out for being in a movie with Colin Farrell. I don’t care who wins this, but Paul Rudd should win; not so much for Role Models as much as a celebration of the man’s entire catalogue.

MissMet: The Golden Globes can’t get enough of Dustin Hoffman. So he’s my pick for this category, though it would be great if James Franco pulled a Sasha Baron-Cohen-like upset when he won for Borat.

Best Actress Comedy

Nominees: Rebecca Hall Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Sally Hawkins Happy-Go-Lucky, Frances McDormand Burn After Reading, Meryl Streep Mamma Mia, Emma Thompson Last Chance Harvey

Devo: Heard of 4 of em, want to see one of ‘em. Saw one of ‘em. And Burn was decent, nothing more. Don’t know who wins, don’t care.

MissMet: Remember how much I love British film? You don’t? Oh well, Sally Hawkins for the win!

Best Picture Comedy

Nominees: Burn After Reading, Happy-Go-Lucky, In Bruges, Mamma Mia, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Devo: So seriously, were there only 5 comedies released this year? See my best actress comments: don’t know, don’t care.

MissMet: Um, if Mamma Mia wins, there are some SERIOUS issues here. Burn After Reading I guess.

Best Picture Drama

Nominees: Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Slumdog Millionaire

Devo: Again, I’ve technically seen all of one of these. Each year there’s one movie that I wage jihad against in the hopes that it won’t win anything. Last year this movie was Atonement. This year? Benjamin Button. Loved Frost/Nixon, will probably love Road for reasons discussed above, but Slumdog probably will/should win. And I’m okay with that. Would a nomination for Dark Knight have killed these people?

MissMet: Slumdog Millionaire please! Though I wouldn’t be surprised if Benjamin wins. I would have to agree with Devo about the Dark Knight and why not throw some Iron Man into the mix?? It doesn’t reallllly matter all that much though, because everyone knows the Golden Globes are the Oscar/Emmy’s red headed stepchild.

Check out our postmortem on the TV winners when I actually have some insight!

No comments: