Monday, January 28, 2008

The End of an Era. ::Yawn::




So Jason Kidd wants out of New Jersey. For what it's worth Jason Kidd helped me get back into basketball, if only for 3 or 4 seasons. And yet, I'm happy to see him on his way out. Ever since the Nets got rid of K-Mart, this team has rubbed me the wrong way. (Even if getting rid of K-Mart ended up being the right move.) I guess it all started when the Nets got rid of Byron Scott, the coach of the West-leading New Orleans Hornets. (How did that happen?) Kidd demanded that Lawrence "if Isaiah is ever fired, people will start noticing that I suck" Frank become the next head coach, and the team has toiled in slightly-better-than-mediocrity for the last few years. Oh, and who replaced the badass Kenyon Martin, who at his departure was basically Charles Oakley with a lot more talent? The gutless wonder, Vince Carter. A man who punished people who drove to the paint was replaced by someone who hadn't been in the paint since the Clinton administration. The team became very soft, and even worse, just another half court basketball team.

Rod Thorn has done everything possible to keep this team at the highest level for years, but the bottom line is that Kidd's trade demand happened one year too late. The Nets should have traded Kidd elsewhere, let Vince Carter walk, and rebuild the team with tons of cap space, hopefully lucking out and being able to snag Oden or (preferrably) Durant through the lottery.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go cleanse myself after talking NBA basketball for about 30 minutes too long.

No comments: