Saturday, February 2, 2008

White Boy's Pick:


I love the Giants, but I just can't see it.

The 2007 New York Giants have made a habit of proving everyone, including their most loyal and passionate of fans, such as myself, wrong. I have picked against them in each of the last two playoff games and figured the team would win no more than 6 games all season. Even when they started out 6-2 I assumed they would free fall after a seemingly crushing home loss to the division leading Cowboys. However, this team, despite losing its best running back of all time to retirement and losing its star tightened in week 15 to a season ending leg injury, has continued to make me and football pundits alike look foolish. They are 4-1 without Shockey and 13-6 for the season without Tiki. They have played phenomenal defense against two high powered offenses on the road in the divisional and conference championship rounds and look like a team that can meet any challenge.
Despite all of the hurdles this team has leaped over and the odds they have faced to get to the “big game”, (I don’t want to get sued for saying you know what) I just can’t see my beloved Gggggggggmen emerging victorious on Sunday. The Patriots are just too freaking good. They have no flaws except maybe a slow and old line backing corps. They have perfect coaching, a perfect quarterback and the best receiving trio ever assembled in the National Football League. Oh yea, their defense is real good too even if their star safety is a cheating, dirty scumbag. Do I think the Giants can make this a good game? Sure. Do I think there is anyway that the Giants actually turn Brady over and come up huge in the game’s deciding moments? I don’t.
The sad thing is, I would be confident if Big Blue faced any other team in the league tomorrow. If they were playing the Chargers I’d pick them to win. If they were playing the colts, I’d be very sure of a triumph for my favorite sports team. Unfortunately, the Giants picked the wrong year to represent the NFC in the big game. As much as people want to compare this Pats team to the 1972 Dolphins, that team wasn’t even favored in the big game! This team is rightfully favored by almost two touchdowns. Point being, outside of Super bowl III, where the Jets triumphed in the role of 18 point dog, this would be the biggest upset in big game history in spite of what the spread says. I’ll be rooting like heck for it to happen and even might wear that newly won Phil Simms helmet during the game to create some kind of positive mojo. However, I gots to keep it real. It just seems too daunting a task to beat this nearly flawless team. Still, New York will cover and give us a bowl worth watching. THE PICK: GIANTS FINAL SCORE 31-20 PATS.

No comments: