Monday, January 28, 2008

MissMet thinks that Tennis Rocks



...and so do the men that play the game. The tennis season lasts practically all year, starting in mid-January and ending in, well December. There are a few breaks in there (unless your name is Jelena Jankovic, who played a TON in 2007), but tournaments go on throughout the year. I'm happy to catch a match or two during the Tennis Masters Series (played all over the world, to help determine who is #1 at the end of the season) and try to watch as much as I can during the Grand Slams. I love watching the game, but I know that it's not for everyone. Congrats to Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic (jok-o-vich) for winning the Aussie Open this past weekend. Djokovic can actually do a fantastic Sharapova impression, so that works out well.

With all this being said, I know that a lot of guys watch tennis for the hot, sweaty, fit girls. I like to watch tennis for the competition, but also for the hot, sweaty, fit guys. Talent is oh-so-important in this game, but not so much on the list I'm about to share. Here are MissMet's Top 10 Hottest Male Tennis Players of Her Time:

(Note: These are in no particular order)

Jan-Michael Gambill (USA). Yeah, you've probably never heard of him, but back in the late 90s, he wasn't half-bad. He was always very hot though. I actually saw him in person after he left a practice court at the US Open. He is that good looking...

Mark Philippoussis (Australian). Daaaamn. He was definitely a favorite of mine when I was in high school. He made 2 Grand Slam finals, but lost them both. Was recently on a television show called Age of Love on NBC, where he had to choose a girlfriend amongst groups of cougars and kittens. He chose a 25 year old dancer. No word on the status of their relationship.

Marat Safin (Russia). Hellllllloooo Marat. See him up there? This guy has won both the US and the Australian Opens. He's also been injured a lot and has the tendency to take his anger out on...himself.

James Blake (USA). Shaved head, beard, fantastic skin. He also has a really inspirational comeback story (fractured vertebrae, shingles and lost his father, all in 2004). Yes, I like.

Robby Ginepri (USA). Dated Minnie Driver. I got to see him play doubles at this year's US Open with....

Gustavo (Guga) Kuerten (Brazil). Not your conventional hot guy or tennis player. Tall and lanky, but has a sweet guy, mellow aura about him. He's about to retire, but he won 3 French Opens.

MaliVai Washington (USA). What a body. Plus, he was a Wimbledon finalist in 1996 when a streaker ran across the grass at the All-England Club. Pretty ballsy, wasn't she?

Patrick Rafter (Australian). He always seemed so sweet when he was on the tour, saying "Sorry mate!" when his serve toss went wrong. Love it. Won 2 straight US Opens. Nice beard.

Goran Ivanisevic (Croatia). This is a shout-out to my sister. I like him too, and he had an amazing win at Wimbledon in 2001 after losing 3 times in the finals. He's pretty funny too.

Pete Sampras (USA). Confused? I don't know, but there was always something about this hairy American that got me. Just ask Kimberly Williams (from Father of the Bride) and Bridgette Wilson Sampras (from Billy Madison). They agree with me.

Honorable Mention to....

Bjorn Borg (Sweden). He's not from my era, but he was niiice. Like the name, love the beard.

Enjoy the SuperBowl sports fans! My heart is with the Jets, oh nevermind, the Giants, but my head says Patriots. Let's hope for a close game and great commercials!

MissMet's OK News of the Week: Mets are about to sign Livan Hernandez. I'm happy about the addition of the arm, I just wish he weren't so...experienced (32 years old, my ass).

MissMet's Interesting News of Last Week:
David Wright rightfully told the media that his good friend Paul LoDuca deserves 'harsh punishment' if the Mitchell Report is true. I gotta agree with you there Davey. Meanwhile, I saw a fantastic headline (from right after the Mitchell Report) about Roger Clemens. It's up there, hysterical right? Nice job, Trentonian.

MissMet's GREAT News of the Week:
Pitchers and catchers report in seventeen days!!!! Happy Valentine's day to baseball fans :)

Later!
~MissMet

1 comment:

devo said...

Jesus. 17 days till pitchers and catchers? Pretty sure I'm not mentally prepared for another season quite yet.