Thursday, January 31, 2008


I WON I WON!

In the words of Elaine Benes “I’m just fortunate to be surrounded by such incompetence.” Elaine was referring to her incompetent co-workers at the J. Peterman catalogue. I can’t help but think of this quote when summarizing my evening last night. Mahatma and I went to get dinner at a bar we frequent in New York’s midtown section. When we arrive we realize that 1050 ESPN Radio is doing a show from there. One of the hosts of this show was ex Giants running back Joe Morris (wow he has put on a few.)

Anyway, lucky for me they were doing a Giant’s trivia contest. The winner was to be awarded a Phil Simms autographed full sized Giant’s helmet. I am the first person to be quizzed. I should have been the only one. Though to be fair, Mahatma held his own when answering trivia about MY team. I answered 8 questions out of 10 correctly. Amongst the harder ones were being asked to recall the exact final score of the Giants Patriots game (38-35 Pats) and figuring out how many years the G-men have been in existence (83). The only question I got wrong which was not a true false was being asked to recall what team the Giants played in their first ever National Football League (Frankfurt Yellow Jackets or something?). Some of the questions were absurdly easy like being asked to recall the Giant’s three playoff opponents this year and to name at least 2 draft picks of this past draft. When I walked around the bar I was amazed at some of the questions people got wrong including the question about what teams the Giants played this year during the playoffs!! Any good football fan let alone Giants fan would get at least 7 out of 10 correct as Mahatma did.

The next 30 minutes were spent anxiously waiting, along with Mahatma, to see if anyone would top my 8 out of 10 score. Finally, when a man wearing a 1050 Espn Radio t-shirt approached me and asked me my name I knew this was a good sign. I WON I WON! I took my picture with the helmet and the 2 scantily clad New York Titans lacrosse team cheerleaders. It was awesome.

However, this leads me to contemplate an interesting dilemma. I was not sure how long, after engaging in my helmet winning performance, I would have to wait to claim my prize. I had made plans with the girl I am dating to see her at about 9:30. Should I break my plans with her in order to wait and cash in on my Simms helmet or should I leave and meet the girl for a possible session of romantic bonding? In the words of City High “What would you do”?

A. Forget the girl; this is a Phil Simms helmet. 22-25 Super bowl XXI MVP Phil Simms.

B. Are you freaking nuts, you gots to get yo game on player. That helmet isn’t going to make out with you tonight is it?

Luckily I got to do as the saying goes “a little from column A and a little from column B “

1 comment:

devo said...

If she can't deal with the fact that you won a Phil Simms helmet and like the Giants, she's probably not going to like you long term.