Monday, April 21, 2008

Belated 1st round NBA Picks



Apologies dear SUS readers for my tardiness in delivering my first-round NBA picks, the hardships of the hardware retailing business are great. Luckily, nothing that happened yesterday changed my opinions on anything. So, here we go, a day(or two) late and a dollar short, but here nonetheless:



Maybe its because I'm the smartest, or the strongest or just the most handsome of the SUS staff, but somehow I ended up with both #1 seeds for the SUS 1st annual NBA Playoff Preview. Or maybe its cuz I called them first. Regardless, I guess this makes my job easier, because Ill bet you can already guess who I'm picking to advance.





#1 Boston Celtic vs. #8 Hotlanta Hawks

So, I think it goes without saying that the Celtics are much better than the Hawks. As in, a lot fucking better. If it were possible, the mercy rule should be extended to the Hawks after they lose Game 3 by 30 points. I mean, if you destroy a team for 3 straight games, by a crazy 20pt+ margin, shouldn't there be some sort of shameful mercy rule that goes into effect where the ref just says, "you are clearly outclassed, don't even bother showing up for Game 4 so you can try to injure the other teams players", and calls the series. I guess I shouldn't be advocating that as a Red Sox fan, but still, the first round of the Leastern Conference Playoffs ain't the ALCS. Nevermind my proposed rule changes, Ill be shocked if there is a close game in this series. Kevin Garnett has been playing like a man possessed all year, and now he just looks like a caged tiger eyeing a porterhouse from across the room. Ever game he wins now will only make him more intense. Bostons biggest worry should be keeping KGs head from exploding when the Celtics inevitably have a string of bad calls go against them in a later series.



As for the Hawks, they got a bad draw, no way around it. I really like Mike Bibby from his days on the early 00's Kings, the last time I really gave a damn about basketball, and hes going to give Rondo some lessons in playoff ball. Al Horford will be getting some lessons as well, and may actually have a decent series, as the 5 spot is the Celtics weakest position. What Atlanta can do is take solace that not much is expected of them in this series, and any good that comes of it will be gravy. The Hawks can look to next year knowing that they will have gotten a taste of the playoffs and that will stoke the fires to make sure they return next year.



Celtics roll 4-0




#1 LA Lakers vs #8 Denver Nuggets

So I just read that Marcus Camby is 34, which makes me feel old. I remember rooting for him waaaay back when UMass had a basketball team, not for any particular reason other than that if you live in the middle of nowhere you have to root for someone. Oh, and Pizza Hut used to sell Final Four mini-basketballs that were killer. Anyway, this may/may not be a good series. It SHOULD be, as the Lakers are a favorite to advance to the Finals and the Nuggets won 50 games this year. In fact, every Western Conference first round series should be good considering every playoff team had at least a 61% winning pct. But we all know that wont be the case, and as much as Id like to see the Nuggets make this interesting, we all know they are standing on the tracks staring down a trans-continental freight train that's headed for Boston. Kobe is still doing his thing, well, and Pau Gasol has turned the Lakers into a dominant force, even if he couldn't get the "l" for his first name through customs. You almost think that missing "l" happened the same way half the people in America got their last names- lazy and drunk immigration agents misspelling everything. Lamar Odom and Luke "nappy-head" Walton have turned into solid role players while you can just imagine Derek Fischer has been weeping with joy for the last few months because Kobe stopped abusing him once they started winning.



I like the Nuggets, I do, but Ive never like 'Melo. I didn't like him in college, when he stole the Final Four MVP award from Gerry McNamara and I didn't like him when he for some reason decided to become permanently engaged to an unattractive 3rd rate VJ from that channel that used to show music videos. I was firmly in the LeBron camp during the Rookie of the Year debate and wondered why it was even a question. Melos attitude is shit and he needs to learn to let one of his posse drive when he drinks. That said, I love the rest of his team. AI has always defined intensity and natural skill("We talkin bout practice?") in my sports world and I'm happy hes landed somewhere where he can contend. Although he sorta shat the bed in last years playoffs, you gotta think hes gonna bring it in this series. Its just a shame it will all be for naught. Denver is gonna make a valiant effort, and Id say they have enough skill to steal one at home, but only one.



Lakers stand tall 4-1

2 comments:

devo said...

I always hated that Syracuse team because I gave (for once) correct advice to our roommate that Melo's Syracuse team could win it all. They did. He won the pool, and I didn't. I should've at least gotten a finders fee for that pick.

Anonymous said...

That kitten is adorable, and I'm sure the picks are spot on