Saturday, January 26, 2008

Top X moments in Giants history since Superbowl XXV part II


5) 2000 season (2001 calender year) Divisional round playoff game. Giants defeat Eagles 20-10. I remember this game as the end of a glorious run of completely dominating the Eagles. Jason Sehorn provided the game's most electrifying play by returning the most unconventional of interceptions into a touchdown for Big Blue. The ball was flat on his back, he gets up and the ball flings into the air and he snatches it. Then he returns the pick for 6 and the Giants are on their way to another dominant defensive performance.

4) 1993 season (1994 calender year) Wild card Playoff Giants defeat Vikings 17-10. I admit I don't remember anything about this game itself. I'm pretty sure it was both LT's and Simm's last home game as members of the Giants. It was however, definitely my first Giant's game. White Boy Senior never forgave the Giants for moving to the swamplands of Jersey and away from Yankee stadium. Therefore, It was not until he went with my Grandfather and I to this game that his Giant's fandom was rekindled. So this game marked the birth of my Giant's fandom and the rebirth of my dad's Giant's fandom. Just don't call my dad a "born again" we are pretty liberal.

3) 2007 season (2008 calender year) Divisional Playoff Giants defeat Cowboys 21-17. I thank God everyday that I DVR'ed this game. Seeing TO walk off the field and then cry in a post game news conference was something I did not even dream about let alone hope for. This game also shed from the Strahan Giants the label of big game chokers. Up only 4 in Dallas against a very potent offense, Steve Spagnuolo's crew clamped down and did not allow a single yard after the Boys had advanced the ball to the New York 22, 1st and 10 with 30 seconds to go in the contest. BIG described my reaction to the game's final play, the R.W. Mcquarter's interception on 4th and 11, as "creaming himself" to a hot female friend of his. That was funny if not weird.

2) 2000 season (2001 calender year) Conference Championship game.Giants defeat Vikings 41-0. Whenever you say 41-0 to a fellow Giant's fan, we/they all know what game this is referring to. I'll never forget purchasing an NFC champions hat at halftime of this game. I'll also never forget that the Giants took a 14-0 lead on the Vikings before Daunte, Carter and Moss even got to run a single play from scrimmage. The Vikings wanted no part of the Meadowlands on this day and for good reason. Oh yea and this game was why I will always love Kerry Collins. He played the best game I have seen a Giant's quarterback play in leading his offense to 41 points and a near perfect quarterback rating.

1) 2007 season (2008 calender year) Conference Championship game. Giants defeat Packers 23-20 in overtime. Wow. This has to be my most intense sports fan experience ever. This game featured 4 lead changes, several dramatic and meaningful penalties, terrible mishaps by both teams, and the perfect setting for sports drama; Lambeau field. However, I had a weird but good feeling come over me watching Eli warm up before the game. He looked calm and confident. His play would reveal that he indeed was both. I think, outside of the bizarre and record breaking performance of Lawrence Tynes, I will remember this game most for how Eli seemed completely undeterred by the elements yet Farve seemed completely unable to cope with them. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried after the overtime field goal went in, in the words of Bill Cowher "that was a ........................ special moment."

2 comments:

Mahatma said...

Cowhard would have choked that special moment away!

devo said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The fact that your dad was offended and turned away by the Giants' move to Jersey cracks me up on many levels. After all, it's just another hour or two of traffic. Not like they moved to Nashville.