Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I'm A Sports Tool Part 3: The MissMet Edition



There is a simple fact in life: all hard core sports fans are tools when they watch their teams. With that said, it's now time for the writers of your 10th most favorite website to tell about the little and not so little things that they do that qualify them as Sports Tools.

For part 1, Devo edition, click here
For part 2, White Boy South Bronx, click here

-When its baseball season and I'm in for the day or night, I watch at least a part of every Mets game. When its baseball season, and I'm out, I either go somewhere where there's a tv, radio or computer so I can check scores. If I'm at someone else's house, I'll (politely) ask them if I could just check the score quickly and won't be mad if the game gets left on in the background. If I can't find any of those I'll text around so that I can get the score. If I'm out of the Mets' market on vacation, I will whatever is necessary for me to find out the score, get the highlights or whatever I can. You get the idea. This applies to any of my teams during any season, but more so for the Mets. I think I bug people, especially those who don't give a crap about sports. I'm a tool.
-I used to have my own draw (Men's and Women's) printed out for the US Open and followed the thing religiously. I would watch for match results during other matches and have my family members read out the winners to me so that I could keep track. By the time the two weeks were up, I was kinda sick of tennis and didn't care about who won. Yup, I'm a tool.
-I cry a lot in general, so when it comes to teams and athletes that I'm emotionally involved in, forget about it. Whether its a happy or sad ending to a big game, a human-interest puff piece on a news magazine (60 Minutes, Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, etc) the tears usually are flowing. I even cry for teams that I don't normally root for when they lose big games. MissMet<---tool.
-I accidentally became a frontrunner when I rooted for the Islanders in the early 90s, but then switched over to the Devils (for good) in the mid-90s. This was really just because I was born on Long Island and didn't really care about hockey until I noticed my dad watching the playoffs one year. Then it was all GOO ISLES! A few years later I had been to a couple of Devils games, so my alliance had changed. Do you forgive me, even though I'm kinda a tool?
-I might have rooted for the Yankees in the 1996 World Series. This is because:
1) They were playing the Braves and as a Mets fan, I hate the Braves- always have, always will.
2) Interleague play had not yet begun, so the Mets/Yankees rivalry wasn't going on yet.
3) I was reeled in because a local team was in the playoffs. I was 4 in 1986 and really not paying attention to baseball at all in 1988. I really started being a real baseball fan in 1995, so I was excited that everyone around me was excited. It was admittedly a great series- the Yankees were down 0-2 and came back to win. Once they played the Mets the next season and were back in the playoffs again, I was sick of them and never rooted for them again. I promise and I'm a tool.
~MissMet

1 comment:

MissMet said...

Thanks for not making me a douchebag.