Friday, May 9, 2008

Movie Review: Ironman




SPOILER ALERT FOR MOST OF THE ARTICLE

-Let me begin by saying that I'm not a comic book guy. Some of the movies have been solid, notably X-Men, Spiderman, and the Michael Keaton and Christian Bale Batmans. So I thought this movie would suck, but I was pleasantly surprised. Some parts of the movie were stupid, most notably the fact that Robert Downey Jr. would've died in the end except that he was blocked from going into this nuclear reactor by a screen. But still, solid flick. Let's call it 2.75 out of 4 stars.

Some additional thoughts:

-The best part of the movie was easily the 36 hour flashback in the beginning of the movie. Best Vegas scene this side of Swingers. Ironic, since this movie was directed by Jon Favreau.

-A surprising amount of celebrities were in this: Terence Howard, Gweneth Paltrow (welcome back to the movie world), Jeff Bridges, Jon Favreau and SUS's own Mahatma. And you thought SUS was his only job? Ha.

-So as far as Jeff Bridges is concerned; the man is a fantastic actor. He's turned in some damn good performances in Arlington Road, The Contender among others. And yet, he was so good as The Dude in Big Lebowski, that I refuse to take him seriously as anything other than a stoner who loves bowling and CCR.

-I think what I liked about this movie the most is that it tried to walk a thin line between the science fiction of comic books while still maintaining a relatively plausible plot. It stayed relatively plausible by including some of the bad guys as Afghani (I think?) jihadists and invoking the current US War on Terror. Sure, it made Jeff Bridges the evil bad guy by the end, but for most of the movie, it maintained a relatively realistic plot as far as comic books go.

See ya in the sequel.

And just because there was a Jeff Bridges sighting, one more Lebowski clip:

5 comments:

Mahatma said...

whatever see unlike that guy, I HAVE HAIR.

UNLIKE a certain Fred Durst-Look-a-like that is masquerading around as the SUS editor in chief.

served!

The Yinzer said...

I thought the movie was very good (not a best ever by any means mind you), and was easily one of the best comic movies out there. Though I have to disagree that Spdierman was solid, as it was hurt by the lack of acting skills of Tony "Douf" MacGuire and Kirsten "I'm not actually hot" Dunst. I fully expect the sequel movie to be better now that the origin and building of the suit is out of the way.

And for the record, The Big Lebowski was one of the worst movies ever. I could barely stay awake for it.

The Brooklyn Hillbilly said...

Lebowski scene is epic. Brilliant dialogue and acting. One of the best scenes in movie history. As for the movie-top 5 of all time.

devo said...

Yeah Yinzer, nothing but love, but you're an anti-Clash rant away from having me subwaychatter your ass. We don't talk about the big lebowski that way on this site, son.

The Yinzer said...

Well, I guess its a good thing I didnt put that anti-clash comment I was thinking about, cause my opinion of them isnt much higher than the Big L :D

But in all fairness, I do see why people like the movie, I just dont, so it's not a hate-on kinda thing.