Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Still Feel Like Writing About the Mets


OK?

As the playoffs are about to begin, I will once again dwell on the fact that my team is not playing. I was just reading ESPN Page 2's 100 Reasons We Love the MLB Playoffs, which made me (more) jealous and (more) bitter.


Shea Goodbye


For those of us that continued to watch the coverage of the last game of the season after the horrible game was over, it was definitely bittersweet. The closing of Shea was also a homecoming for many former players. Among my favorites were Mike Piazza, Robin Ventura, Edgardo Alfonzo, Todd Zeile, Yogi Berra, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, and Keith and Ron. I loved that they had the former players touch home plate for the last time. I loved that Tom Seaver threw the ceremonial last pitch to Mike Piazza and that the two most popular Mets walked out together to center field to close the doors. I loved the symmetry that made it work out so that Seaver and Piazza could be battery mates for the end of Shea.

Where was: John Olerud? The Public Address announcer named former Mets who could not be in attendance for whatever reason, but he was not mentioned. My mom and I thought he would be there. When he wasn't there and Todd Zeile (a favorite, but not quite as good) was, we were just a little confused.

Where was: Mike Piazza's beard?


By the Way


John Maine underwent successful arthroscopic shoulder surgery yesterday to remove a lesion. He should be ready for Spring Training.

Johan Santana is even more phenomenal then I thought. Turns out the ace had a torn meniscus in his left knee before his last start. I'm thinking there would have been either a perfect game or a no hitter if he was 100% for that game. He had surgery today to repair it.


Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that:

Jerry Manuel will become the Manager.
Carlos Delgado's option will be picked up.
David Wright and Jose Reyes will not be traded.
The Mets have some interest in signing Manny Ramirez.
They think they need a catcher.


MissMet of Straight Up Sports thinks that:

They need to retool almost their entire bullpen, get a good starting pitcher and someone who can take a leadership role on and off the field, more so than Beltran, Delgado, Wright and Reyes, because none of them are a fit in that role. I have no idea how they will do this and who they must get rid of in order to do it, but that is why I am not the General Manager. Speaking of the GM, I also think that resigning Omar Minaya might not have been the best idea, but maybe he can prove himself during the offseason.
Enjoy the playoffs...

~MissMet

No comments: